The History of Enarion
Age of Stone
Date Unknown - The Dwarven race is created. Their creation myths state that the Dwarves were born in the deep caverns from the Earth Mother’s womb. The world is still forming when the Dwarves are created, and they spread throughout the world through underground tunnels.
Date Unknown - The Dwarves master the Earthen Tongue, the Earth Mother’s primordial and divine language, which is written in runic. They use the magic of the Earthen Tongue to build fortresses and cities deep within the earth.
Date Unknown - The spoken form of the Earthern Tongue is eventually forgotten. The common Dwarven language is derived from the Earthen Tongue.
Date Unknown - The Dwarven population of Enarion grows and begins to spread across the surface of the continent.
Date Unknown - As each Hold grows more isolated and independent, unity between the Holds of Enarion suffers and rivalries emerge.
Date Unknown - Upon the death of the last Underking, the royal clan is split as each of his sons takes control of their own hold and enters into a bloody feud.
Date Unknown - The grudges between the branches of the fractured royal clan grow stronger with each generation.
Date Unknown - Younger clans take advantage of the lack of central authority to stake out their own claims and found new mountain holds, leading to an era of expansion.
Age of Myth
0 A.L. - The first Elven expedition to Enarion makes landfall along the southern coast and begins Elven colonization of the continent. The leader of this expedition, Aenlorethier, is crowned king by the Elder Council of the First Elven Kingdom.
1 A.L. - Young Dwarven mountain holds in the south of Enarion make contact with the Elves. Relations between the Elven settlers and Dwarven holds are initially cordial, with the surface of the southern lands still wilderness and open for Elven settlement. The Great Holds of the north are too preoccupied with their feuds to pay the Elves any mind.
0 A.L. - 300 A.L. - The Elves are masters of magic and deal with the local spirits regularly. Their magic, technology, and deals made with spirits enable them to quickly erect many cities and temples across southern Enarion. After a few generations, most of the south is ruled by Elves. The western grasslands remain unsettled.
410 A.L. - With little territory left for settlement in their traditional homeland, the Elves turn their attention towards conquering the local Dwarven mountain holds. The Dwarven holds of the south petition the Great Holds for support against Elven encroachment, but are ignored as the Great Holds have no resources to spare from their feuds.
471 A.L. - The final Dwarven hold in the south falls to the Elves, who now rule all of south-eastern Enarion.
500 A.L. - 700 A.L. - The Elven Kingdom turns its attention towards settling the wild western grasslands, beginning a period of peace and colonization that lasts several centuries.
703 A.L. - A human fleet lands on Ynslee, a large island off the coast of western Enarion. These Humans lack knowledge of magic and how to use the runes, and live at this time as a semi-nomadic tribe.
706 A.L. - The Elves take pity on the sorry state of the Human colony and offer to teach the Humans various forms of magic and technology in return for their servitude and vassalage. The Humans agree to the deal.
708 A.L. - The alliance between Elves and Humans sends ripples through Dwarven society. The Great Holds fear the two races will seek to expand into their lands and agree to put an end to the Great Feud in favor of an agreement of mutual defense.
710 A.L. - 760 A.L. - The Human population grows quickly with the aid of the Elves, and they found several more settlements along the coasts of Enarion with the approval of their overlords. During this period, several other smaller expeditions of Humans journey to Enarion and join the Human population.
Age of Chaos
767 A.L. - 788 A.L. - War breaks out between the Humans and Elves. After a lengthy period of fighting, the Elven King is killed in battle and the two races make peace. The Elven Kingdom agrees to recognize the independence of the Humans.
770 - 790 A.L. - The Dwarves begin to fracture once again and resume their grudges and feuds after seeing the alliance between Men and Elves fail. But the feuding never returns to the level of the Great Feud.
790 - 800 A.L. - The death of the Elven King sends the Elven Kingdom into a succession crisis. Every King had been directly descended from Aenlorethier until this point and the final King died with no heirs. The Elder Council cannot not agree on an heir as various nobles all try to claim the throne. The Elven Kingdom descends into squabbling and infighting and breaks apart into many petty states.
800 A.L. - 1000 A.L. - The following two centuries are marked by continued Human territorial expansion as they conquer the isolated western lands from the remnant Elven kingdoms. Further Human expeditions arrive in the west and carve out their own kingdoms from both Elven and Human lands. The Elves remain fractured into many petty kingdoms and war amongst each other, as do the Dwarves.
Age of Wonders
1000 A.L. - 1100 A.L. - Warring between the various Human, Elven, and Dwarven kingdoms tapers off. The modern kingdoms as of the Calamity and their borders solidify and relations begin to normalize between the races.
1100 A.L. - 1300 A.L. - The next two centuries are marked by peace and prosperity. Wars between major kingdoms are infrequent, the population grows significantly, and magical artifacts and wonders become commonplace.
1333 A.L. - The Calamity reaches Enarion’s shores. It encroaches on the continent from all sides, making its way across the landscape over the course of a few months and converging on Azure Keep. Areas affected by the Calamity experience all sorts of disasters, both magical and mundane. Most of the population perishes in the Calamity. The few who survive flee from the storm and congregate at Azure Keep. As the Calamity closes in on the castle, the few remaining mages decide to activate the experimental linths of Azure Keep and keep them open long enough for some refugees to escape through the portals.
Age of Silence
Date Unknown - Several generations and an unknown amount of time passes. Most knowledge of the Old World is lost during the escape and subsequent exile inside the portal realms.
Date Unknown - Spirits, monsters, and the forces of nature reclaim the continent.
Age of Restoration
- The mortal races emerge from the ancient gateways onto Enarion once more.
- King Edwyn Thorpe I is held hostage by Thorsten Bronzebeard of the Kingdom of Ordheim.
- In response to the earlier hostage situation, King Edwyn Thorpe I and the Kingdom of Westholm take Rogrim, the Seneschal of Ordheim, hostage and cut his beard off.
- King Edwyn Thorpe I of Westholm is slain in a duel against a dwarf by the name of Rogrin, with a grudge. Richard de Retford I takes regency, and later, kingship of the Kingdom of Westholm. House de Retford becomes the new ruling family of Westholm.
- The Army of the Lion of the Kingdom of Westholm and the Order of Lothelia of the Kingdom of Tor Ascara respond to multiple bandits and raiders from the Kingdom of Ordheim, launching a raid upon the dwarven capital of Ordheim. The raid, which occurred throughout many days towards the end of Earthshine, ended in a stalemate.
- The Royal Wedding between King Richard de Retford I and consort Saoirse Winterskorn is interrupted by storm winds, putting out Saoirse's ceremonial torch. The wedding, dubbed now as The Scorched Wedding, was then interrupted by the Grand Augur of the Cult of the Five Divines, Engarant de Corseilles, and augur Gregor 'the filthy', who labeled Saoirse Winterskorn as blasphemous. The House of Winterskorn responded by pushing through the Royal Guard and attacking the augors, leading to the death and later post-mortem beheading of the Raymond 'the radical', and capture and eventual torture of Engarant de Corseilles and Gregor 'the filthy'. The Royal Wedding was postponed for a later date.
- The king of the dwarves, Thorsten Bronzebeard, supported by his loyal bronzeshields Dutrig, Skokock and Thorkyl, are slain in honorable battle against the Kingdom of Westholm. The four dwarves had challenged King Richard de Retford and his fyrd to an open battle at the Gates of Reyn. Ultimately, the four dwarves die honorably in battle, and lead to the Kingdom of Ordheim's election for a new king.
- Baldur Balzar is elected king of the Kingdom of Ordheim against his political rival Christ Punchsteel. Those who rallied behind Christ Punchsteel believed the election to be rigged, and Bazar to be unfit for kingship - leading to The Civil Liberties of 3 A.C.
- The Kingdom of Helheim is formed, a nation formed by rebellion against the Kingdom of Ordheim, its high king being Ragir Ironfoot.
- The Federacy of Veritas is formed, comprised of the Kingdom of Helheim, The Crimson Company, and The Blackwind Pirates.
- Tensions rise between the former defensive-allies of the Kingdom of Tor Ascara and the Kingdom of Westholm, as the Ascari aid the Kingdom of Helheim in the sacking of Westholm. A counter raid occurred a few months later against the city of Tor Ascara by the Kingdom of Westholm, in which they were victorious in. Both the Kingdom of Tor Ascara and the Kingdom of Westholm exchanged propaganda supporting their side, with tensions strained between the kingdoms.
- The Principality of Vlachia is founded by the Vlachulesti dynasty, just a short way from Tor Ascara. The Vlachians were historically a people in exodus and slavery, united by Vlachul the Liberator to rebel against their Elven Overlords at the beginning of the Calamity.
- The Order of the Golden Sun is founded to be the official fighting force for the Principality of Vlachia.
- The Eve of Amity, a festival honoring the reclamation of Enarion by the three races, is held within Tor Ascara by Queen Niserie Lumithiel.
- The Dance of Light was held within the Westholm Training Grounds by Tasia de Blackford, held to ease the citizens of the Kingdom of Westholm from the constant battling they had endured in recent times.
- Baldur Balzar steps down from the throne of the Kingdom of Ordheim, taking a leave from the capital city. Ordheim sits almost empty, with Ubbe Bloodaxe claiming the title of King of Ordheim.
- The Jubilant Ides is held from the sixteenth eve of the Last Offering until the sixteenth eve of the Eclipse. During this time period, the inaugural hunt of the Vlachian people takes place, followed by a jovial feast within the Castle Gulac.
- The Woodland Realm is declared a free and independent state on the 1st of Earthshine. This city-state, capital city being Valieryl, is set near the ancient Ruins of Dalirwen.
- Prince Vlad I of House Vlaculesti of the Principality of Vlachia is barred from the Kingdom of Tor Ascara by Queen Niserie Lumithiel in response to the Vlachian Elven travel ban.
- The Copil Company enacts an Elven trade ban for their goods.
- Master Ludobrecht, Lord-Mayor of Aurbryn and Guildmaster of the Company of the Black Dog, proposes the Accord For Fairy Treatment of the Fallen, a document of various laws of war.
- The Federacy of Veritas becomes defunct, and in its place Winterhelm is founded; a vassal under the Kingdom of Westholm.
- The Kingdom of Ordheim closes its gate to all, the Dwarven Kingdom becomes abandoned and dormant for the time being.
- Reynald and Leofric of the House of Myrfeld are named traitors within the Kingdom of Westholm for crimes of necromancy and an assassination attempt against Lord Arthur de Blackford, under the orders of the Undead King Valrond.
- Westholm is sieged by King Valrond's Undead Army. The Army of the Lion and allies were pushed far into their own city, but saw victory at the end of the night. King Valrond lost possession of the former King Edwyn Thorpe's body, revealing his true form.
- King Valrond's Undead Army marches to the abandoned city of Ordheim, laying claim to the empties halls as their siege against the Kingdom of Westholm is thwarted.
- Former King of the Kingdom of Ordheim, Ubbe Bloodaxe departs southwards of Ordheim and founds the Jarldom of Mjolheim, becoming its Jarl.
- The Principality of Vlachia launches a raid against Tor Ascara, surprising the Elves. It is a long, drawn out battle, but the Vlachians saw victory in the end.
- About one month after the surprise raid against Tor Ascara, the Order of Lothelia launch a raid against the Principality of Vlachia. Both sides saw weeks of onslaught by arrows, but the Elves had won the decisive charge.
- The Kingdom of Westholm and Barwic hosts the Festival of Peace, involving merchant stalls and shows of strength in the arena.
- Queen Niserie Lumithiel resigns from the office of Queen of the Kingdom of Tor Ascara, elevating Nardual Aeleth to Kingship until a suitable change is made within the Ascari Council of Elders.
- The Town of Aurbryn releases its Articles of Secession from the Kingdom of Tor Ascara, becoming the Republic of Valora.
- The Army of the Lion raids the Principality of Vlachia due to alleged violence against a Reeve of Barwic, and other violent acts against the Kingdom of Westholm.
- King Richard I of Westholm places Arthur de Blackford as Regent of Westholm for the following year.
- The Knights of the Realm are formed by King Richard I of Westholm, an order of nobility stemming from both Holmish and Nornish tradition, ennobling worthy folk in deeds of valor and honorable bearing.
- The Adventurer's Guild is founded as a guild to repel the monstrous forces of Enarion, through use of bounty and quest boards.
- The Republic of Valora enters non-aggression and open free trade pacts with the Jarldom of Mjolheim, town of Barwic, and the town of Bellemare.
- The forces of the Kingdom of Westholm, comprised of the Army of the Lion, the Oakleaf Rangers, and other warriors ventured into ancient human ruins with the goal of defeating King Valrond and the Undead. The Oakleaf Rangers broke down a wall of ice that was within the catacombs of the ruin, and dug down into the snow, finding a hall. Despite heavy causalities, the Holmish people managed to break the armor of King Valrond, seemingly releasing the evil spirit that was controlling the dead King.
- The Aellen Forest's mushroomite inhabitants were terrorized by the parasite and its infected flora. They guided the Ascari through the forest, and performed a sacrifice among themselves. Following these events, the Ascari uncovered a cave, one offering whispers of an unknown language, and met an ent. This ent gave brief mention of the Sanguin'ehr and the parasite's relation, and told the Ascari they were not yet prepared for the encounter.