(Mundane Discussion) Magic buffs

Pinks__

Nation Leader
Reaction score
So recently, ive noticed heightened attention towards rune magic and sorcery, and its obvious why, but what are your personal opinions? do you think rune magic is needed for you to be cool and epic in crp? Or would you raither grab a sword and go under your own power?

Reaction score
Username
wootdahnoot
Character Name
THE ELF.
Discord
woot#4467
Magic is in a bad spot in my opinion, as youve stated. You kinda need magical items to do anything cool or interesting, otherwise you are just a normal dude. None magic users have very little to nothing to do and improve on.

OP
Pinks__

Pinks__

Nation Leader
Reaction score
Magic is in a bad spot in my opinion, as youve stated. You kinda need magical items to do anything cool or interesting, otherwise you are just a normal dude. None magic users have very little to nothing to do and improve on.
I agree, However, my outlook on the situation is that if you do think out of the box with your emotes, doing shit with mithril swords and stuff can be seriously impressive, just as long as you take a moment to look through the emotes and think carefully on what you wanna do next.

I personally feel like magic items arnt needed at all, Just a good clear head. Though they are nice to have and play with irply, but eventually it gets boreing.

I do wish we had more things like salamandra swords and stuff that used frp/real life physics as well to.

Sukitoru

Lore
Reaction score
Username
Sukitoru
Character Name
Kine Lidomast
I do wish we had more things like salamandra swords and stuff that used frp/real life physics as well to.
unfortunately people usually only take real life mechanics to make something really specific and obviously gamebreaking that their character would never have naturally discovered otherwise

OP
Pinks__

Pinks__

Nation Leader
Reaction score
unfortunately people usually only take real life mechanics to make something really specific and obviously gamebreaking that their character would never have naturally discovered otherwise
I know :(

One day tho, im gonna create frp's first 'lightsabre'

Reaction score
Username
imhellsbelles
Character Name
Cain / Tarquin / Lucrezia
Discord
Hells Smelles#0874
I think magic should be an aspiration of your character, not a definition of who your character is.

I played Cain for a year and a half. I never got any magical buffs or whatnots, and yet, regularly enjoyed slaying horrors, making a name for myself IRPly and doing all sorts of fun shit. Magic was an option at one point, but by then I felt that I had been able to construct a character who was nuanced in her own right, and magic no longer seemed like a realistic goal for her.

A character should be equally competent without magic as they are with it. In my eyes of course. Being magical in some property should not define their existence. If your character's personality or standing is indivisible to their buffs, then they're kinda rigid and surface-level, persae? of course this is my opinion.

(ADDING ON):
With that being said, I think things that give you boons (Religion, Pacts, Runemagic etc.) have the capacity to ENHANCE your character. Religion RP for me has personally been a very enjoyable and refreshing genre to try, and it's a constant source of material for me to pair with my character. The rewards such as blessings are a side-product to the roleplay provided. With that, my main point stands.

No, you don't need buffs to be cool- and if you think you do, my suggestion would be to focus on giving your character some verisimilitude. Magic can only do so much if a character fundamentally lacks any nuances or other aspirations.

Last edited:
OP
Pinks__

Pinks__

Nation Leader
Reaction score
I think magic should be an aspiration of your character, not a definition of who your character is.

I played Cain for a year and a half. I never got any magical buffs or whatnots, and yet, regularly enjoyed slaying horrors, making a name for myself IRPly and doing all sorts of fun shit. Magic was an option at one point, but by then I felt that I had been able to construct a character who was nuanced in her own right, and magic no longer seemed like a realistic goal for her.

A character should be equally competent without magic as they are with it. In my eyes of course. Being magical in some property should not define their existence. If your character's personality or standing is indivisible to their buffs, then they're kinda rigid and surface-level, persae? of course this is my opinion.

(ADDING ON):
With that being said, I think things that give you boons (Religion, Pacts, Runemagic etc.) have the capacity to ENHANCE your character. Religion RP for me has personally been a very enjoyable and refreshing genre to try, and it's a constant source of material for me to pair with my character. The rewards such as blessings are a side-product to the roleplay provided. With that, my main point stands.

No, you don't need buffs to be cool- and if you think you do, my suggestion would be to focus on giving your character some verisimilitude. Magic can only do so much if a character fundamentally lacks any nuances or other aspirations.

Goat

Application
Reaction score
Username
HeyGoat
Character Name
Orlan
Discord
Goat Man#1359
Magic is bad revert to monkey

Reaction score
Username
wootdahnoot
Character Name
THE ELF.
Discord
woot#4467
I think the theme of frp should be a higher fantasy to allow mechanical crafts and such. Magic is cool but fantasy engineering is cooler.
ya, just give non magic users more things!

OP
Pinks__

Pinks__

Nation Leader
Reaction score
I think the theme of frp should be a higher fantasy to allow mechanical crafts and such. Magic is cool but fantasy engineering is cooler.
Y E S

I just wish, crafting rp wasnt so confusing for me. i know there are alot of ores and stuff you can get and make special weapons, but no one publish's books on where to find them, and as far as i know there are no forums on it as well :(

Goat

Application
Reaction score
Username
HeyGoat
Character Name
Orlan
Discord
Goat Man#1359
U mean higher tech?

Issue is ppl dont want magitech they want industrial revolution
no, not everyone wants the same thing. Most people I talk to and spend time around would (Including myself) much rather have magitech, simply cooler.

Jordankeeper

Reaction score
Username
Jordankeeper
Character Name
Xyrh'Golh Velam
Discord
Jordankeeper#9458

(ADDING ON):

This.

Discord

Join us on Discord

Latest profile posts

Dw guys, we got 'em.

Death system fixed. Easy
@Dylann I love you <3
Lemmie post a nation forum!!

( Wonder how many hrs it will take woot to put /me laughs under it)
how does this work? i applied but the server still has not whitelisted me
spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider
I'd make a snarky comment about how there's various comments about how inactive the forums were, but that would imply activity.
Whoa, whoa! Everyone gotta stop posting so much stuff on the forums, I can’t keep up

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hera000