Username
Gazros
Character Name
Dune
Discord
gaz #8008
FRP Naval Guide/Mechanics Proposal
Google Document Link

As it stands, CRP is incredibly difficult to coordinate between ships, any PvP done at sea will require players to teleport or swim to the defender’s boat, and they engage in a board-based CRP/PvP instance. This document is intended as a standardized guideline for sailing on the server. The manner in which your ship is controlled is up to you in terms of complication & depth, just be sure to follow the player minimums.

I personally recommend a ‘Sea of Thieves’ level of complication, where you can raise/lower sails, rotate sails, and raise/lower anchor as needed, with nothing more to it.

I'd also like to note I am posting this as a player proposing an idea, not on behalf of the Lore Team. This is a proposal which means NOTHING here is final and everything may change if anything does come to fruition from this.

Section I: Ships & Ship Limitations
Small Sized Ships; Sloops, Schooners; 2-3 Player Minimum to Set Sail

These ships can carry no more than 2 artillery at a given time.
Medium Sized Ships (Brigs, Corvettes; 4-5 Player Minimum to Set Sail)
1626740872093.png

These ships are allowed to carry no more than 4 artillery at a given time.
Large Ships; Galleons, Frigates; 6-8 Player Minimum to Set Sail
1626740838919.png

These ships are allowed to carry no more than 6 artillery at a given time.
Massive Ships; Treasure Ships, Man-O-Wars; 12-14 Player Minimum to Set Sail
1626741182104.png
These ships are allowed to carry no more than 8 artillery at a given time.

Section II: Proposed Rules for Sea Travel
Cartographers

Cartographers are going to be crucial to the tracking and communication of where your ship is traveling by the moderators responsible for cutting/pasting a ship within the world. The cartographer’s job is to draw and track the number of chunks the ship has to travel in order to get to a certain location.

The above map is a standardized map that can be distributed to the general public on the server. This likely will only be used by the cartographer responsible for a given ship’s voyage (a one-way trip out to sea). Each square within the grid is 16x16 blocks, representing a singular Minecraft chunk.

Cartographers are tasked with using an image-editing software capable of drawing lines, (MS Paint, paint.net, photoshop). They will then draw out their intended sailing path on the standardized map. It is the cartographer’s job to count out the squares that the travel route (the red line) goes through. The finalized image will be sent to the moderators tasked with cutting/pasting ships within the world.
Suggested At-Sea Time

The Suggested At-Sea Time Conversion: Based on a ship’s relationship between size, weight, and generated drag the conversion is as followed:

It's suggested that ships can travel at speeds of 1 chunk per 1 OOC minute. The reason all ships have the same speed is due to two things.

1) Balancing; we want to keep this system simple and approachable.
2) It isn’t too far off from reality. Assuming they were full sail and traveling with the wind, sloops could travel upwards of 11 knots (12.6 Mph) and galleons were only a bit slower, traveling at about 8 knots (9.2 Mph). Considering the marginal difference that results from bigger sails being required to carry greater weight, we’re keeping the ship travel speed identical for all standard ships.

Example:

The cartographer for a ship would submit something like this to the mod team responsible for cutting/pasting their ship, detailing the intended route they are planning to travel.

In this example, the cartographer would find that they are traveling a total distance of 20 Chunks. This means that upon leaving port, the ship will be at sea for a suggested total of 20 OOC Minutes, though this may vary depending on the activity of staff, and the degree of time the crew wishes to spend at sea.

Underway Roleplay
The truth is that there's no possible way for staff to world edit all these ships around. So the way it'll have to work is that two copies of an active ship exist on the server. One is docked at a port, and the other is off at sea, a good distance off the coast from the mainland. In order to move a ship, a player has to send in a /modreq of their ship's coordinates, and the coordinates they would like it moved to.

If a player is looking to have a ship docked somewhere, they must submit a /modreq providing the docked version of the ship's coordinates, and the port in which the player is seeking to have the ship moved.

Players can only have their ship's location OOCly moved once per every 2 weeks OOC. This does not mean that you can't sail your ship between then, just the physical locations of the ship have a timer as to how frequently they can be moved. The intention here is to lighten the burden that these modreqs would place on staff with world edit permissions.

Plae

Section III: Optional Crew Roles
It should be noted that a single person aboard a ship can and often does take on multiple roles at once, and none of these are necessarily required by any means. It's your ship, run it how you see fit!
Captain:

Many are under the impression that Captains command vessels and lead through fear, and this is simply not true. The most significant feature of a ship's Captain is that they lead with respect.

Captains aboard a military vessel are distinguished not only by their abilities but by possessing the rank of a Sr. Officer. Aboard military vessels, officers do recieve more control and privilege than regular seamen, however, this may vary from ship to ship.

Aboard non-military vessels, traditionally Captains are elected democratically by the crew, rendering it a far more political position. The amount of control a non-military Captain has over their ship is an order of magnitude smaller than if they were enlisted, as the only area aboard a vessel the Captain has ultimate say is typical during battle. Routes, plans, and the major leadership roles a vessel are traditionally decided through votes.
First Mate & Quartermaster:

A First Mate’s duty typically consisted of standing in for the Captain should the Captain be unfit to perform their duty, or otherwise need a form of leadership in a Captain’s stead.

The Quartermaster of a vessel holds power second only to the Captain, and while being elected democratically on non-military vessels, is dictated usually by the individual of the second-highest rank aboard a ship. The Quartermaster is charged with managing other positions of leadership, food and water supplies, and deciding punishments for men who disobey orders.

While some ships may distinguish these two roles, most simply have a singular Quartermaster who performs the duties of First Mate in conjunction with their typical ones.
Boatswain

Junior officers aboard military vessels, and third in command generally. Boatswains report directly to either the Captain or Quartermaster, and their most significant roles lie in tracking a crew’s morale and serving as their chief representative to the Captain and Quartermaster with respect to more sensitive matters.

The boatswain has a variety of additional duties, ranging from calling out and repeating orders to ensure they’re heard across the ship, to leading the crew directly with anchoring and docking a vessel.

Aboard military vessels, this is typically the individual with the third-highest rank.
Shipwright

This individual’s sole job aboard a ship is sustaining, and repairing the ship when it is damaged. Typically skilled woodworkers and craftsmen fill this role, and are charged with leading the crew as they assist with the ship’s repairs.
Helmsman

The Helmsman aboard a ship is simply the individual steering the vessel, this position typically requires education and the ability to read charts, monitor currents, and stay to a set course. This position can also double as the ship’s Cartographer/Sailing Master, however, this requires a strong degree of education and is uncommon among pirate vessels.
Cartographer (Sailing Master)

The Cartographer is the individual aboard a vessel charged with drafting the ship’s course and deciding optimal routes to take to arrive at a given location. This position requires extensive education regarding the writing and reading of charts and deep knowledge of the ocean’s currents.
Gunner

Typically the leader of small groups dedicated to artillery aboard a vessel, these individuals are charged with aiming the artillery while their teams load and fire them.
Choreboys/Powder Monkeys

The lowest-ranked individuals aboard a ship, typically in their early teens, have the most dangerous jobs aboard. Charged with unfurling scales and climbing ratways, removing objects from the side of the ship, and recovering men overboard, this position is truly an entry-level position aboard a vessel.

Within the military the rank is referred to as a Choreboy, while aboard pirate vessels they prefer the term Powder Monkey, a far more honest description of this role.
Surgeon/Ship Doctor

Uncommon among non-military vessels, this role serves as the ship’s doctor, and the role is fairly easy to understand; they patch up the crew when injured.
Arcanist

This role aboard a vessel is incredibly uncommon, but a sought after and welcome addition to any crew. The Arcanist is the ship’s mage, (typically attuned to either the wind or water rune) they are tasked with artificially assisting the ship’s navigation, and increasing a vessel’s speed at the cost of their personal energy. Arcanists are typically handy for getting a ship out of troubled waters or escaping battle.
Cook

They provide food for the crew and prepare it. This role requires little skill and can be filled by really anyone, though a crew will appreciate someone who does this well.

Section IV: Additional Rules/Guidelines
PvP: Okay so, you’re a goon and want some form of Naval PvP, well here’s the simplest way I propose it could work. Naval PvP would be dependent on two things:
1) Catching up to a ship/chasing, your ship has to be in a position where it can intercept or approach the desired ship you intend to engage in combat with.

2) Boarding; because projectile-based CRP is near impossible due to shout distances, the ships could board one another and engage in CRP/PvP against one another using the standard rules for PvP combat on the server.

Enhanced Travel: Magic and material assistance play a major role in ship travel, such as sorcerers or rune mages speeding up a ship. This is so nuanced that it has to be handled on a case-by-case basis however it should be taken into consideration when accounting for a ship’s travel-speed. This will ultimately be deferred to ET discretion for its impact.

Wind Direction: If you want to account for wind directions for sail rotations, simply roll 1d360 to determine the angle from which the wind is traveling, and roleplay accordingly. This is something you can do simply for immersion and can account for to keep roleplay active during travel time, it has no impact other than giving you a basis for roleplay.

Section IV: Construction Costs
These should only be paid after you have a ship build with both 'At-Sea' and 'Docked' variations ready to be pasted into the world.

Small Sized Ship:

25 Gold Pieces
Medium-Sized Ship:

50 Gold Pieces
Large Sized Ship:

75 Gold Pieces
Massive Sized Ship:

100 Gold Pieces
Ballista:

Requires:
5 Stacks of Wood
5 Pieces of Tough String
10 Steel Ingots for Nails
Wildfire Hose (REQUIRES LT SIGNING)

(Ignore the ‘Match or Lamp’ on the infographic.)

Requires:
20 steel ingots for mechanical components
10 Tough Hide for fluid container/pump/bellows

Requires 5 Wildfire for 1 attack, has a range of 40 blocks. These are stationary, and while effective, if the container is burst it could sink the very ship it was being used on.

Credits:
@Awhoo
@Rekodile
@Renajaka
@STBNL
@TheseThomas

@Sukitoru

Last edited:
Reaction score
Username
IncognitoOtter
Shiver me timbers! May I be dancin' teh hempen jig if this 'ere don't get cap'ns stamp of approval. Aye, it be hoigh time I weighed anchor 'n shoved off. Oi' aims to fill me coffers w'th pieces of eight, says I.

...Oh, right. +1

OP
Gazros

Gazros

Lore
Reaction score
Username
Gazros
Character Name
Dune
Discord
gaz #8008
Updated this to be a bit more streamlined and less cluttered

TrendE

Reaction score
Should be a gold price w/ construction costs to make it a bit more expensive & so that people don't just create weird solo ships that never find crews. Ship movement should also be on an assigned day each week.

I like the idea though!

OP
Gazros

Gazros

Lore
Reaction score
Username
Gazros
Character Name
Dune
Discord
gaz #8008
Should be a gold price w/ construction costs to make it a bit more expensive
We discussed that actually, it's why it costs 5-20 stacks of steel ingots to manufacture ships.

Ship movement should also be on an assigned day each week.
I agree with this wholeheartedly!

OP
Gazros

Gazros

Lore
Reaction score
Username
Gazros
Character Name
Dune
Discord
gaz #8008
implement something for naval battles so I can pirate other ships :3
Unfortunately, projectile based ship vs ship combat would be insanely difficult to implement for PvP (It's fine for PvE CRP). However this system functions around the idea of boarding. So if you intercept a ship while its traveling, the raiding party would have to board the defender's ship and the defender would choose if they're going to CRP or PvP.

Last edited:

Ryanark

VIP
Reaction score
Username
RussiaSupremacy
I have been a staunch supporter of naval mechanics since the pre-release of the server, and I really love this idea you've put forward. I like all of your ideas, but it may be difficult to get cannons/artillery lore-approved, it might have to be substituted with something else, like a trebuchet system or magic projectiles.

In addition to all the other ships, I think it would be a useful addition to detail a type of convoy ship which has a large main compartment used to store and transport troops across oceans.

OP
Gazros

Gazros

Lore
Reaction score
Username
Gazros
Character Name
Dune
Discord
gaz #8008
it may be difficult to get cannons/artillery lore-approved, it might have to be substituted with something else, like a trebuchet system or magic projectiles.
I did try to implement cannons via 'Myrcite Launchers' which used magnetic acceleration to launch balls. Turns out we're able to just convert ballistas into slingshots using the rule of cool, and substitute with those (these are fine). Wildfire hoses are also identical to something that was approved beforehand within the dwarf nation fortunately!

TLDR: I think we're pretty solid with artillery B-)
In addition to all the other ships, I think it would be a useful addition to detail a type of convoy ship which has a large main compartment used to store and transport troops across oceans.
I think these would just qualify as large ships honestly, though I could add another category for "Massive Ships" that accounts for things like Man O' Wars and giant convoy vessels!

OP
Gazros

Gazros

Lore
Reaction score
Username
Gazros
Character Name
Dune
Discord
gaz #8008
Updated with 'Massive' ships such as Man-O-Wars & Cargo Clippers

Kaii

Application
Reaction score
Username
DaddyKai
Character Name
Aelrie H.
Discord
Kai#1448

Swifty

VIP
Reaction score
I'd love to be able to have epic pvp/crp battles with other crews. Perhaps this could be set up... +1

Reaction score
For wood stacks, do you mean logs or planks? along with all the material cost should it be allowed to be substituted out for gold? Lastly would these rules apply to preexisting ships as well, and would construction RP/woodworking LV mater?

OP
Gazros

Gazros

Lore
Reaction score
Username
Gazros
Character Name
Dune
Discord
gaz #8008
For wood stacks, do you mean logs or planks? along with all the material cost should it be allowed to be substituted out for gold? Lastly would these rules apply to preexisting ships as well, and would construction RP/woodworking LV mater?
Great questions! I’ll add in a specification that refers to stacks of logs. The material cost won’t be able to be substituted by gold, as the cost of materials varies on the status of the server’s economy.

Construction rp logs would be encouraged but not required, as building a ship does not require LT signing. Now if you’re doing something special or constructing a ship out of dragonwood (fewer material requirements) then LT would need a log.

I can’t say for certain but I reckon if something like this were implemented,all of the older ships would be grandfathered in.

great questions!

Awhoo

Event
Reaction score
Username
Awhoo
Discord
Horton#4181
I am the destroyer of ideas and good vibes .. The creature that lurks in the abyss .. The realist to ruin your days. I am the Devil who advocates and sits on a chair lower only to Pie and Callum. Fear me, foolish mortal!

NITPICKS
These are pieces that aren't necessarily horrid, just kinda annoy me.

• Example ships and their corresponding pictures
    • Way too advanced for FRP's current standing!
      • Small ships - Cogs, knarrs, byrdings
      • Medium ships - Dromon, liburna, longships
      • Large ships - galley, caravel
  • Your formatting, meh.

ISSUES
To start with, we’ll begin with your [ Cartography ] and its mechanics. While I love it (and I do mean I love maps), I find the whole thing as of current simply burdensome and partly inaccurate. The map you wish to use, for one, is on a diagonal axis while chunks are on the X and Y axis. While that’s only a minor qualm, fitting into nitpicks, it does kind of interfere. Next is how oddly specific and perhaps functionally tedious the At-Sea time would be depending on how its implemented.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION
Rather than by minutes and waiting that long, I would do it by actual days or, if you must, hours. Having to wait a measly few minutes to paste in the ship would make a moderator’s job simply tiresome and overall make the whole process feel tedious. As with if you did it by hours, or even better would be days, people can simply through down a /modreq and say they want this pasted the next day or so.
Also, you don’t need a specific amount of time and can really just go by rough estimates. I can even do a fancy map for that!

The next issue is the delegation of roles! I know I’m getting really petty with all of this but role delegation is something that doesn’t need to be forced on a person. It’s something that will happen naturally through roleplay if people are doing it right. Which given the roleplay and how niche it is, they would. Roles are mostly unneeded and really petty rules like that can inhibit roleplay instead.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION
No need for them as actually official rules? Simply replace them with actual roles like requiring charts for navigation and the general combat roleplay guide!

Construction costs are eeeh, I think you should make it a fairly cheap base with people who really wanna strut their stuff making their ships more expensive. This is roleplay that’s rather niche and nonexistent as of current. Like I mentioned once, and like I’ll mention again on the next topic, you don’t need really arbitrary and specific rules. Vague rules function for now and if they don’t then simply rework it! Get the foundation before you build the actual structure!

POSSIBLE SOLUTION
Make construction cheaper and less of a constraint. Actually, add instead what the tech team does! Where you need a certain amount of emotes, that’d be a nice touch.

UNDERLYING ISSUE
Ultimately this feels like a shower thought more than anything. That’s partly because of your naming sense, a bit because of your rather rough formatting, and a lot because these mechanics don’t synchronise well with the server’s theme. The server’s theme being rather casual RP. The less rules and restrictions you have on people is better.

As well as that, and I know you have a plan with it, you didn’t expose the full of your thoughts with this. Ultimately you want trade routes and such but you never said that on this document! Making rules without a use isn’t as good as making rules with a use!

POSSIBLE SOLUTION
Fix your formatting, minute details, and give your thorough plan rather than leaving us hanging!

Oh yes and I offer you my helping hand regarding all of it, if you wish!

OP
Gazros

Gazros

Lore
Reaction score
Username
Gazros
Character Name
Dune
Discord
gaz #8008
I am the destroyer of ideas and good vibes .. The creature that lurks in the abyss .. The realist to ruin your days. I am the Devil who advocates and sits on a chair lower only to Pie and Callum. Fear me, foolish mortal!
Always good to see 'ya interacting pal. I'm glad 'ya gave this a read!

NITPICKS
These are pieces that aren't necessarily horrid, just kinda annoy me.

• Example ships and their corresponding pictures
    • Way too advanced for FRP's current standing!
      • Small ships - Cogs, knarrs, byrdings
      • Medium ships - Dromon, liburna, longships
      • Large ships - galley, caravel
  • Your formatting, meh.
I do need a bit more experience with formatting, but I welcome any and all help I can get there with that. As far as the technological advancement of ships goes: we're a bit past that now. Galleons have been a thing since last November (if not even further back), and most of those ships would fit certain niches fulfilled by nations.

To start with, we’ll begin with your [ Cartography ] and its mechanics. While I love it (and I do mean I love maps), I find the whole thing as of current simply burdensome and partly inaccurate. The map you wish to use, for one, is on a diagonal axis while chunks are on the X and Y axis. While that’s only a minor qualm, fitting into nitpicks, it does kind of interfere. Next is how oddly specific and perhaps functionally tedious the At-Sea time would be depending on how its implemented.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION
Rather than by minutes and waiting that long, I would do it by actual days or, if you must, hours. Having to wait a measly few minutes to paste in the ship would make a moderator’s job simply tiresome and overall make the whole process feel tedious. As with if you did it by hours, or even better would be days, people can simply through down a /modreq and say they want this pasted the next day or so.
Also, you don’t need a specific amount of time and can really just go by rough estimates. I can even do a fancy map for that!
You're right on the money here, the Cartography section is actually the one I had the most issue with myself but couldn't really figure out. At-Sea time's been clarified as being no more than a suggestion, and I specified a 2-week cooldown for the docked/at-sea copies of ships to be moved. Not to say you can only sail once every two weeks, but your ship's physical location in-game can only change once every two weeks. This should hopefully alleviate the burden on staff for moving ships, and address the rigidity of that whole 'At-Sea Time' conversion!

Let's get to work on a better-looking map!

The next issue is the delegation of roles! I know I’m getting really petty with all of this but role delegation is something that doesn’t need to be forced on a person. It’s something that will happen naturally through roleplay if people are doing it right. Which given the roleplay and how niche it is, they would. Roles are mostly unneeded and really petty rules like that can inhibit roleplay instead.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION
No need for them as actually official rules? Simply replace them with actual roles like requiring charts for navigation and the general combat roleplay guide!
Good point, it should be up to whoever's running the ship whether it has roles whatsoever. Changed the wording on the roles section to exaggerate that those are completely optional!

Construction costs are eeeh, I think you should make it a fairly cheap base with people who really wanna strut their stuff making their ships more expensive. This is roleplay that’s rather niche and nonexistent as of current. Like I mentioned once, and like I’ll mention again on the next topic, you don’t need really arbitrary and specific rules. Vague rules function for now and if they don’t then simply rework it! Get the foundation before you build the actual structure!

POSSIBLE SOLUTION
Make construction cheaper and less of a constraint. Actually, add instead what the tech team does! Where you need a certain amount of emotes, that’d be a nice touch.
I was meaning to change those, they've been adjusted to be more affordable and in-line with the server's economy. Was not aware just how expensive steel was.

UNDERLYING ISSUE
Ultimately this feels like a shower thought more than anything. That’s partly because of your naming sense, a bit because of your rather rough formatting, and a lot because these mechanics don’t synchronise well with the server’s theme. The server’s theme being rather casual RP. The less rules and restrictions you have on people is better.

As well as that, and I know you have a plan with it, you didn’t expose the full of your thoughts with this. Ultimately you want trade routes and such but you never said that on this document! Making rules without a use isn’t as good as making rules with a use!

POSSIBLE SOLUTION
Fix your formatting, minute details, and give your thorough plan rather than leaving us hanging!

Oh yes and I offer you my helping hand regarding all of it, if you wish!
I mean, it does sting a bit that you're implying not a lot of thought went into this, though I do admit the formatting indicates that this was hastily converted from a document to a forum-friendly design. With respect to my 'plan', I don't really have anything that requires implementation into the guide itself.

The guide is a suggestion; a series of optional guidelines. I plan on using it within Glarenydd with my new character to help with the activity and relevance of naval roleplay, but things such as trade routes are entirely dependent on interactions between Nation Leaders rather than anything I can write into a guide.

That being said, I'll include something about trade routes as a bit of a nudge in that direction![/SPOILER][/QUOTE]

OP
Gazros

Gazros

Lore
Reaction score
Username
Gazros
Character Name
Dune
Discord
gaz #8008
I think it’s worth noting that regardless of if this gets approved, it’s still something I plan on using regardless in my personal RP, and I think the same goes for anybody interested.

However I do hope that staff use a handful of guidelines within this to help standardize functionality and sensibility.

The only things from this doc which are primar
- The artillery limitations
- Ship material costs
- Player requirement (so there’s no one man galleons)
- The two-week cooldown for moving your ship build(s).

The rest is more or less a suggestion on how you can rp sailing, and how you can immerse yourself into the experience on the server.

Discord

Join us on Discord

Latest profile posts

Goth Vampire Girlfriend Plush
Are you an artist? Would you like to potentially win 10 skin crates? There's an ongoing art competition across the RPH network!

For more information, check the RPH discord: https://discord.gg/mV95JWrs
I'm live on Twitch, come hang out! Fifa pro clubs div 1 gameplay https://www.twitch.tv/luma_sightz?sr=a (or just search LuMa_SightZ on Twitch!)
I can't believe the thing that ended up uniting former [redacted] enemies together on side is the united hatred for SRPers
Fun fact: the Zhul Mesa is the same map as the Orc lore battle
What should I eat/cook for breakfast tomorrow?
Remove the water at the bottom of the ocean

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyxanderebos