Announcement FantasyRP's Path Forward - Community Discussion

Reaction score
Character Name
'Cain'
Discord
mixel#0874
They forget that there is no rp term for it, and to just rp it out and not wear it as an bio badge of honour. This goes to people who make Tavern RP uncomfortable or players not understanding the lingo. Just simply rp the characters traits and for the love of god don't make it their whole personality.
Agreed, having a queer character, the whole aim is to kinda just rp it out and not run it around, since there is no term for it. I'm mainly nit-picking, but i agree since i think so much quality rp can come from Tavern RP and it just gets absolutely shat on by overtly-modern people or characters who are just projections of their sexual/gender identities.

Xaedric

VIP
Reaction score
Username
Xaedric
Character Name
What happens on earth stays on earth
Discord
Xaedric#3313
As much as im down for rp with bigotted connotations (Ie; my Velnari chieftess actively discriminates and punishes people for interracial romances bc of religious purity- she also practices eugenics, very funny to be at the other end), it should have been canned when it was getting to intense and when it was evidently pushed by OOC.

When its all in RP, its all good, and im in full support of controversial socio-religious ideals, but staff should be faster to intervene when the ooc motives become clear.
Discrimination between actual races, or 'racism' is 100% ok when kept within those bounds. Too often do I see it being taken out of that, or just plain racists saying outlandish things, and in the same breath swear they are just playing around or mean no harm.

Haseroth

VIP
Reaction score
Discrimination between actual races, or 'racism' is 100% ok when kept within those bounds. Too often do I see it being taken out of that, or just plain racists saying outlandish things, and in the same breath swear they are just playing around or mean no harm.
1634185295349.png

busting u in buddy.

Reaction score
Character Name
'Cain'
Discord
mixel#0874
Couldnt say it better- staff really need to start intervening when it steps from ic 'racism' (ie; you're a velnari! you cant date a human), to actual racism- same with any form of bigotry

OP
IndeanaJones

IndeanaJones

Owner
Reaction score
Username
IndeanaJones
Character Name
Basilius Buckley
Discord
@Inde#0066
Couldnt say it better- staff really need to start intervening when it steps from ic 'racism' (ie; you're a velnari! you cant date a human), to actual racism- same with any form of bigotry
Have there been incidents where racism/homophobia is taken into ooc that you've witnessed? I can speak for myself as well as the staff team that any reports of this kind of behavior that have been brought to our attention or when we see it have been dealt with. If players are seeing this sort of behavior on out-of-character mediums whether that is (in-game ooc chats, discord, etc) then it should be reported to a moderator or moderation manager so it can be dealt with. We have no tolerance for racist or homophobic comments at all on out-of-character and players have been severely punished for such in the past.

TLDR: Report it so we can handle it, staff don't see everything but we've tried our best (I hope) to punish it when we see it or it gets reported to us.

Last edited:

frill

Reaction score
Username
frill
Character Name
lofty sugden
Discord
myshkin#0001
half of the people are using this as a blue sky thinking make-a-wish thread about zany plugins and super duper new races, and the other half only care about the same discussion about cdale that's been happening since february.

for the sake of transparency please let us know where donation money is going, how much there is and why. the dude on fiverr who you commission once a week for High Quality Fantasy Music is £30, but i dont know if that's nvse's own pocket or the server's. trot out the line about it being a community and not a business when ppl tell you to invest it in things like formal advertising campaigns sure, but doesn't remove people's concerns about ppl buying $100 ranks and there being no obvious $100 investments.

Twodiks

Reaction score
In regards to conflict, I get that several groups or at least players have quit over the losses in several wars. But I feel to try to lock wars behind ooc redtape or "casus belli" is the wrong way to go with it. It's a good band aid in the short term, but in the long term will just lead to stagnation with people desperately hiding behind it. I hope there's a different approach to this and address the actual reasons why these people quit. I don't think it's "waah I lost the war, fuck frp forever". Most of the time, they have an issue of how the war played out and lose faith in the server and if it is so simple as "I lost, I quit", I don't think the server should cater to such whiny and entitled behavior. There should be more avenues to people to talk about their grievances with the team, and even with the other side. Staff handling it should really try to encourage or even make both or however many sides work together. If you ask any of the people who quit over the war, you'll probably hear a myriad of excuses of how unfair they were treated, and if I think if the server manages to eliminate those excuses, people will manage to take the blow better. Things like shadow rallies, ooc motivations, or poor sportsmanship. Speaking about sportsmanship, I think a good reason no one loses gracefully is because people don't really tend to win gracefully. Most of the time, the loser gets their face ground to the dirt and mocked. I won't lie and say I haven't done this, I've done this a lot, but I've started to recognize the effects of it on the server. Really creates a sense of tribalism and no one really wants to lose to anyone else.

Anyway, I've gotten off topic, if I was to sum it up, there needs to be a way for people to address their issues with the war, so they don't really have an excuse or reason to quit. There need to be some semblance of cooperation between those in a war.

On the server as a whole, I really think advertising is a poor idea. These people crying for advertising or promotion don't really realize you can't just cram new players and expect them to stick. I've talked about this before, asking for player retention stats in the application team feedback thread, but we really need to look at how we're doing regarding retention. As far as I see with the current numbers the server is pulling, its low. I really think there shouldn't be an advertisement push just yet, as first impressions are everything. You ruin any chance with a new player that may have been recruited later on, by advertising for the server in a bad state.

Instead of this, I really think the server should focus on winning back old players who left for whatever reason instead. But I don't really have much in the way of how to do that with the server in it's current development. Sure, lore rewrites and plugin updates are cool but the only ones who are going to really care, are those who are actively playing already. Regarding nations, I don't really see how cutting nations will help, you're only going to piss off the nations who are on the chopping block. And if I remember correctly, the servers state really stagnated for me when nation application were locked for months. Nothing really changed or got added. I think increasing expectations for nations is a good direction to go. But that might just lead to the same old nations staying around forever, with no one really branching off due to the risk of making a new nation.

Honestly my only suggestion to address winning back old players, is to start the motions for a "refresh" whether its a new map, relaunch etc. I know it's a huge endeavor that will take a long time so it's understandable if its just not feasible. Especially since the teams are probably burnt out from shipping out Zhul to a mediocre reaction. But I think it's a good starting point for people to step back on frp, to make some big changes and announcements, advertise so everyone has a fresh new wave of new players to interact with, and just in general to show off frp after more than a year of growing pains. I knows it's drastic but it's one of the few ways I can see the server being revitalized, though maybe I'm out of touch with the state of the server and it's just in a rut due to people having real life stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Character Name
'Cain'
Discord
mixel#0874
iirc that's just religious or cultural standards (@Cepheid_ needs to fact check 4 me)
Both, purity within race -> going with the will of gods. (@Cepheid_ do not correct me bc if you do i'll snatch your veil!!!), but thats the point, you can have controversial / bigotted IC practices and not be an actual homophobe etc. Keeping it in rp is 100% the most important part with that- and its clear when its not.

Have there been incidents where racism/homophobia is taken into ooc that you've witnessed? I can speak for myself as well as the staff team that any reports of this kind of behavior that have been brought to our attention or when we see it have been dealt with. If players are seeing this sort of behavior on out-of-character mediums whether that is (in-game ooc chats, discord, etc) then it should be reported to a moderator or moderation manager so it can be dealt with. We have no tolerance for racist or homophobic comments at all out-of-character and players have been severely punished for such in the past.

TLDR: Report it so we can handle it, staff don't see everything but we've tried our best (I hope) to punish it when we see it or it gets reported to us.
Ty for the response! I was gonna go on a rant, but the chat has gone on for a while- i think there are instances of notably racist/outright bigotted people getting off way too easy and now end up in positions of influence. I think to sum it up, re-look into some of these repeat offenders

half of the people are using this as a blue sky thinking make-a-wish thread about zany plugins and super duper new races, and the other half only care about the same discussion about cdale that's been happening since february.

for the sake of transparency please let us know where donation money is going, how much there is and why. the dude on fiverr who you commission once a week for High Quality Fantasy Music is £30, but i dont know if that's nvse's own pocket or the server's. trot out the line about it being a community and not a business when ppl tell you to invest it in things like formal advertising campaigns sure, but doesn't remove people's concerns about ppl buying $100 ranks and there being no obvious $100 investments.
THIS^^^ I'm a horrific shopper, and i buy things like mad, but when i get ranks, i do it because i wanna support a community i love! but, i know all the staff work is volunteer for the most part (please correct me if this is wrong!) and FRP hasnt really improved mechanically or even some cool new knick-knacks

I think FRP should have a right to know where the money goes, otherwise, it looks pretty shady considering the current level of improvements.

frill

Reaction score
Username
frill
Character Name
lofty sugden
Discord
myshkin#0001
THIS^^^ I'm a horrific shopper, and i buy things like mad, but when i get ranks, i do it because i wanna support a community i love! but, i know all the staff work is volunteer for the most part (please correct me if this is wrong!) and FRP hasnt really improved mechanically or even some cool new knick-knacks
if i knew where donations were going and why, id be a lot less reticent to kick some beer money in the server's direction. i wouldnt want to do an almost entirely blind investment where the only dividend i get is a different coloured nameplate and the ability to change my nickname in the discord, however much ppl think that's 'reward enough' for all the 'super hecking hard work' people put into the server.

give me breakdowns and let me see where it goes so i can tell if i want to contribute or not to that. i wouldnt care abt server money if the server was doing well, or if it was clearly being spent in X or Y direction. if a server is getting shitter and it's getting sat on bc it's just someone's nest egg that'll on hatch when the server finally snuffs it? fuck contributing to that, monthly skinner box lootcrate or otherwise.

Sukitoru

Lore
Reaction score
Username
Sukitoru
Character Name
Kine Lidomast
i dont see how a new map would help to be honest, i do see the idea of somewhat "crop cycling" maps (Going from Zhul-Enarion to Baltar, then to Dragon Isle, then to a different one) but not only do people not have a reason but that would make ruins kind of pointlesss

maybe at the end of the irp century some kind of big change will happen, but i see no reason to entirely wipe the map and all player's items - that just feels like a good way to destroy people's progress :(

Twodiks

Reaction score
i dont see how a new map would help to be honest, i do see the idea of somewhat "crop cycling" maps (Going from Zhul-Enarion to Baltar, then to Dragon Isle, then to a different one) but not only do people not have a reason but that would make ruins kind of pointlesss

maybe at the end of the irp century some kind of big change will happen, but i see no reason to entirely wipe the map and all player's items - that just feels like a good way to destroy people's progress :(
Eh, It's just an example of what I'm trying to say. Just some sort of refresh. Whether its a complete wipe or just a switch like your crop cycling example, where characters and items stick. Though in my opinion, some things need to be discarded eventually, else the server just stagnates.

AN_DR

VIP
Reaction score

I personally hope that items stick around if FRP ever does map cycles; at the least, an ender chest or inventory space’s worth of stuff. It’ll be pretty rad to have something datesigned from 34 AC if we ever manage to reach a number like 200 AC, yo!

Haseroth

VIP
Reaction score
I am also curious about this @IndeanaJones

Reaction score
Username
wootdahnoot
Character Name
A Elf.
Discord
woot#4467
-Event lines for people and crp where magic isn't the end all be all to kill stuff. Also I see the same groups get events over and over and it is disheartening. I have been here for quite some time and honestly only had one event line truly accessible to me.
it is disheartening, having some people walk around with magical items this magical items that from events, is just stupid. There are not many events happening randomly in nations like back during the start of FRP. We don’t have random plant monsters sprouting up in our city squares anymore or undead attacking the city. Besides this, availability of events is quite bad, it feels like there’s no thought for people who aren’t American since some events happen at like midnight on school days for some of us and that feels so demotivating. Also make events more rewarding, killing a monster and gaining nothing from it is silly and no fun, and no it doesn’t fricking develop your character since your character doesn’t think different after killing a death knight or something!!!! So keep that bs statement to urself

Sukitoru

Lore
Reaction score
Username
Sukitoru
Character Name
Kine Lidomast
it is disheartening, having some people walk around with magical items this magical items that from events, is just stupid. There are not many events happening randomly in nations like back during the start of FRP. We don’t have random plant monsters sprouting up in our city squares anymore or undead attacking the city. Besides this, availability of events is quite bad, it feels like there’s no thought for people who aren’t American since some events happen at like midnight on school days for some of us and that feels so demotivating. Also make events more rewarding, killing a monster and gaining nothing from it is silly and no fun, and no it doesn’t fricking develop your character since your character doesn’t think different after killing a death knight or something!!!! So keep that bs statement to urself
arguably speaking most monster fights arent rewarding because you feel no better defending whatever you are defending than if it was allowed to die. if things had greater consequences, much like world events try to attain, then you would feel accomplished for defending locations, ideals, etc. your nation should reward you for killing that giant minotaur that attacked, not the minotaur. that's not how monsters work! you think they carry their wallets pal!?

that, and people already vulture over monster parts. i remember one time people helped defend the Collective from spiders, and my character left for like TEN minutes. came back to a literal skeleton of a spider, all parts removed, lmfao.

additionally, the creation and discovering of magical items isnt entirely unjustified, as the calamity logically wouldve killed a ton of people but left behind their little trinkets and toys to play with - things they had and we can have now. i see no point to your antimagicitem argument, mostly because it's been proven you can just goddamn make your own item with enough effort

TryaxReck

VIP
Reaction score
I figure that since the feedback has been requested, I ought to put my money where my mouth is and be the change I want to see in the world. With that all in mind, I'll share my two cents.

#1: Meaningful Wars
While this may come as a shock, considering that I was the first person to use the raid tactic of simply not showing up, I do not mind wars if they have a reason and purpose to them. I believe that these wars are beneficial to the server, and drive roleplay through conflict of players. However. The wars I have been involved in have been motivated by mechanical or OOC factors, such as seeking nation hours or due to the fact that they simply want a war for the sake of it, using whatever justification necessary to do such. If the entire reason for a war is because simply someone wants it, it will cause strife and cause people to leave due to what they see as some idiotic conflict with no point other than the self gratification of the other party.

#2: Wars Lower Population (Temporarily disable them.)
Even if you disagree with the first point, every war past the Dwarf v. Westholm war has ended in the removal of a sizeable player base of players. The Fyrmana war caused a chunk of the server population to leave, with only some regulars that had already been playing in other nations as well left. The Aellen war which had occured most recently had as well, with Aellen and Calendale alike both dropping dramatically in their player counts. The effect to wars is clear, no matter if you think its justified or not. Temporarily ceasing all wars and giving nations a chance to repopulate would be ideal.

#3: Maybe give a shit about nation lore?
I have made a nation app once or twice, and from what I can tell the actual lore seems more of a formality rather than an actual aspect towards being accepted or not. Remember folks that at one point Divisus was in fact a nation. Perhaps valuing the worldbuilding of nations would create groups that are more willing to stick around? I knew with Rumpo's administration the priority was PEOPLE. And sure yeah that isn't BAD, but the lore didn't have to be good. I was told personally by some old staff that the lore didn't really matter, and that all that anyone cared about was the hours you could bring. Focusing on quality with nations should be a priority, rather than just the meat they can bring to the table.

#4: Populate the server.
I have two alternate accounts that I will now have running constantly to help boost our numbers and potentially encouraging people to stay. While I do think ghost numbers are not a solution, simply a band-aid, it'll have to be a temporary way to stop any more bleeding. For this reason I believe that the lowering of nation hours should be temporary, and not be a permanent facet. Raise them back up once shit normalizes.

#5: Listen to Twodiks holy shit please listen to him.
He's a memer, sure, but he's also a literal genius. Ask people who were long-timers why they left, and start to work on things that they make them tempted to come back. I like my goonhoard, personally. I like what ET are doing with removing shit from circulation with high value lore items, but it still leaves inordinate amounts of PVP gear around. You can do a wipe, sure, but maybe do a thing like a global "throw away ur shit day" where people compete to trash stuff like food, stacks of items, and gear. Whoever gets 1st place gets a date with @andydreww or smthn...

#6: Stop blaming Calendale for everything, start holding the people in-charge accountable.
I for one would like to normalize blaming the leadership of a nation on the actions implicitly or explicitly condoned. I know for a fact that I didn't like being reminded of my "failed dead nation", or seeing nothing but OOC be a circle-jerk of superiority. If anyone in my group acts out of line I punish them, even if there isn't a moderator present to do it themselves. The leaders of not just Calendale, but every single nation need to grow up and self-police, for everyone's sanity. And, by extension, present ourselves in a professional manner. We do not need nation leaders bragging, boasting, or otherwise inflating any egos. We need to have these leaders show some humility, respect, and sportsmanship towards others, even if that means turning the other cheek sometimes. Frill is right that blaming Calendale for all the world's woes won't do anything. All your doing is alienating a playerbase that already purposely blocks itself off from the rest of the server due to the ban-hunting. Then again, they aren't exactly squeaky clean (there is a reason they have such a long list of banned people from their discord.) Bah, this is getting too ranty. Apologies if this point sounds like a hitpiece. NLs should be more professional and be held to such standards. NL should be treated like staff in that regard.

#7: The less nations idea is dumb. Lets not?
Everyone wants to have less nations, but nobody wants to see their nation destroyed. It'll inevietably end up with removed cultures and force people to play shit they don't want. Only person I've seen really put their balls on the counter for this one would be @Zvyxx2, who is straight up willing to merge Brenna with another nation. Start asking Glarenydd absorb into Aellen, or Calendale to absorb into Promdor. See how the opinions start changing. ♫Everybody wants to rule the world...♫

(Personal note: I AM biased towards this opinion. This will probably be snarkier than my other suggestions.)

#8: TLDR ( Fuck your paragraphs, Tryax. )
Temp disable wars, temp figure out ways to do some idle boosting, prioritize the lore of nations, listen to twodiks, stop blaming cdale, start blaming NLs and other important figures within the community, self-police ffs, allow nations to form.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Username
wootdahnoot
Character Name
A Elf.
Discord
woot#4467
arguably speaking most monster fights arent rewarding because you feel no better defending whatever you are defending than if it was allowed to die. if things had greater consequences, much like world events try to attain, then you would feel accomplished for defending locations, ideals, etc. your nation should reward you for killing that giant minotaur that attacked, not the minotaur. that's not how monsters work! you think they carry their wallets pal!?.

additionally, the creation and discovering of magical items isnt entirely unjustified, as the calamity logically wouldve killed a ton of people but left behind their little trinkets and toys to play with - things they had and we can have now. i see no point to your antimagicitem argument, mostly because it's been proven you can just goddamn make your own item with enough effort
Nations don’t care lol. They won’t treat you differently because you killed the Minotaur, no they don’t care about that.

I clearly remember staff saying they don’t do magical items since “we don’t want the server to be walking around with magical items” which is the most stupid thing. Just giving all the magical items to a certain group of players makes others feel like they can’t get any cool magic items. If they are so accessible then make lore posts on them, because you can’t find things out about how to make a cape that allows you fly for example irp since, well, the lack of those events.

OriginalVVM

Reaction score
Username
NordVVM
Character Name
Folwin Nostoris
Discord
VVM#8699
I figure that since the feedback has been requested, I ought to put my money where my mouth is and be the change I want to see in the world. With that all in mind, I'll share my two cents.

#1: Meaningful Wars
While this may come as a shock, considering that I was the first person to use the raid tactic of simply not showing up, I do not mind wars if they have a reason and purpose to them. I believe that these wars are beneficial to the server, and drive roleplay through conflict of players. However. The wars I have been involved in have been motivated by mechanical or OOC factors, such as seeking nation hours or due to the fact that they simply want a war for the sake of it, using whatever justification necessary to do such. If the entire reason for a war is because simply someone wants it, it will cause strife and cause people to leave due to what they see as some idiotic conflict with no point other than the self gratification of the other party.

#2: Wars Lower Population (Temporarily disable them.)
Even if you disagree with the first point, every war past the Dwarf v. Westholm war has ended in the removal of a sizeable player base of players. The Fyrmana war caused a chunk of the server population to leave, with only some regulars that had already been playing in other nations as well left. The Aellen war which had occured most recently had as well, with Aellen and Calendale alike both dropping dramatically in their player counts. The effect to wars is clear, no matter if you think its justified or not. Temporarily ceasing all wars and giving nations a chance to repopulate would be ideal.

#3: Maybe give a shit about nation lore?
I have made a nation app once or twice, and from what I can tell the actual lore seems more of a formality rather than an actual aspect towards being accepted or not. Remember folks that at one point Divisus was in fact a nation. Perhaps valuing the worldbuilding of nations would create groups that are more willing to stick around? I knew with Rumpo's administration the priority was PEOPLE. And sure yeah that isn't BAD, but the lore didn't have to be good. I was told personally by some old staff that the lore didn't really matter, and that all that anyone cared about was the hours you could bring. Focusing on quality with nations should be a priority, rather than just the meat they can bring to the table.

#4: Populate the server.
I have two alternate accounts that I will now have running constantly to help boost our numbers and potentially encouraging people to stay. While I do think ghost numbers are not a solution, simply a band-aid, it'll have to be a temporary way to stop any more bleeding. For this reason I believe that the lowering of nation hours should be temporary, and not be a permanent facet. Raise them back up once shit normalizes.

#5: Listen to Twodiks holy shit please listen to him.
He's a memer, sure, but he's also a literal genius. Ask people who were long-timers why they left, and start to work on things that they make them tempted to come back. I like my goonhoard, personally. I like what ET are doing with removing shit from circulation with high value lore items, but it still leaves inordinate amounts of PVP gear around. You can do a wipe, sure, but maybe do a thing like a global "throw away ur shit day" where people compete to trash stuff like food, stacks of items, and gear. Whoever gets 1st place gets a date with @andydreww or smthn...

#6: Stop blaming Calendale for everything, start holding the people in-charge accountable.
I for one would like to normalize blaming the leadership of a nation on the actions implicitly or explicitly condoned. I know for a fact that I didn't like being reminded of my "failed dead nation", or seeing nothing but OOC be a circle-jerk of superiority. If anyone in my group acts out of line I punish them, even if there isn't a moderator present to do it themselves. The leaders of not just Calendale, but every single nation need to grow up and self-police, for everyone's sanity. And, by extension, present ourselves in a professional manner. We do not need nation leaders bragging, boasting, or otherwise inflating any egos. We need to have these leaders show some humility, respect, and sportsmanship towards others, even if that means turning the other cheek sometimes. Frill is right that blaming Calendale for all the world's woes won't do anything. All your doing is alienating a playerbase that already purposely blocks itself off from the rest of the server due to the ban-hunting. Then again, they aren't exactly squeaky clean (there is a reason they have such a long list of banned people from their discord.) Bah, this is getting too ranty. Apologies if this point sounds like a hitpiece. NLs should be more professional and be held to such standards. NL should be treated like staff in that regard.

#7: The less nations idea is dumb. Lets not?
Everyone wants to have less nations, but nobody wants to see their nation destroyed. It'll inevietably end up with removed cultures and force people to play shit they don't want. Only person I've seen really put their balls on the counter for this one would be @Zvyxx2, who is straight up willing to merge Brenna with another nation. Start asking Glarenydd absorb into Aellen, or Calendale to absorb into Promdor. See how the opinions start changing. ♫Everybody wants to rule the world...♫

(Personal note: I AM biased towards this opinion. This will probably be snarkier than my other suggestions.)

#8: TLDR ( Fuck your paragraphs, Tryax. )
Temp disable wars, temp figure out ways to do some idle boosting, prioritize the lore of nations, listen to twodiks, stop blaming cdale, start blaming NLs and other important figures within the community, self-police ffs, allow nations to form.
Don't know how this whole forum thing works but only read the tldr part not gonna lie.

Burnsalan20

Creator_Alan
Reaction score
arguably speaking most monster fights arent rewarding because you feel no better defending whatever you are defending than if it was allowed to die. if things had greater consequences, much like world events try to attain, then you would feel accomplished for defending locations, ideals, etc. your nation should reward you for killing that giant minotaur that attacked, not the minotaur. that's not how monsters work! you think they carry their wallets pal!?

that, and people already vulture over monster parts. i remember one time people helped defend the Collective from spiders, and my character left for like TEN minutes. came back to a literal skeleton of a spider, all parts removed, lmfao.

No you can't just make your own magical items no matter how much effort you put in. Wands and Staves don't count either. Also don't need to hear "well I've done it so can you". Lol we know you've done it, please don't tell us about it

Discord

Join us on Discord

Latest profile posts

5 word horror stories. give them to me.
Check out my Creative writing please!! i would like to know your thoughts
Congratulations, you’ve made it to Friday!
If you consider becoming a dwarf, feel free to read the updated intro!
The new 1.18 music is fantastic

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
6N6