Reaction score
Username
Sukitoru
Character Name
Kine Lidomast
Armor Types
by @Sukitoru

1623617250366.png

The king paces forward, the hall filled with the sound of clashing steel and tested wills. A mithril blade at his side, his strides are guided by his duty and devotion to justice as he makes his way for the throne of his opponent. Suddenly, the air before him fills with steel as a knight in service to his foe steps forth, swinging a blade directly into the face of the monarch. Bashed across the head, the man given reign doesn't falter, adrenaline coursing through him as he raises his blade to lock swords with his foe's defender as they swing again. Blood trickling down his chin as the severity of the cut to his steel armor is made known, he shouts into the face of his opponent;

"Come on, test your might!"

Some basic rules:

A person can only have so much armor equipped. However, so long as it's feasible for your character to wear it, he can! Now he obviously cannot wear two pairs of boots, or two sets of gloves, or two helmets, etc. .. But you can wear robes over armor, a chain shirt under a coat, or a circlet under your helm .. Whatever other logical combination you can think of, so long as it's logical. It is entirely normal to go to your local LT to ask if it's proper for your character to be wearing a certain amount of armor or items.

Disclaimer: Generally, in situations where hairs need to be split, the specifics of each armor - Detailed in their descriptions - would be consulted, but one can simply say "It protects against light and medium tier attacks." if it is medium armor for streamlining of combat/etc.

Next, some basic terms to shorten explanations.

Slashing Damage - Imagine this as any type of cut, gash, or – if you’re feeling extra fancy – laceration. A longsword and a greataxe inflict slashing damage, for example.
Piercing Damage - A big ole’ hole (or small hole) being poked in you from a sharp and pointy object. An arrow and a spear inflict piercing damage, for example.
Bludgeoning Damage - Straight up just getting smacked by something hard. For example; A club, a quarterstaff, and falling on your face all deal bludgeoning damage.

Light Damage - This level of strength belongs to iron-strength weaponry, as it is majorly weaker than most fantastical materials available. Weaponry of this type would be iron swords, arrows, or similar.
Medium Damage - This level of strength belongs to steel-strength weaponry; Orichalcum weaponry, even if somewhat unusual, is an example of steel-strength. Weaponry of this type would be steel battleaxes, crossbow bolts, or similar.
Heavy Damage - This level of strength belongs to mithril-strength weaponry. Weaponry of this type is easily recognizable as mithril in nature.

Material - A material is a level of comparison used majorly to dictate the strength of a weapon, as many ores and items can be comparable to metals in strength. For example, Orichalcum is Steel-Material, as it is equivalent to steel, although it has some other mystic properties. Dragonscale is Mithril-Material, though usually lighter and often more durable.

Second Disclaimer: This guide uses some reference from [this link.]

Armor Types

Light Armor
Light armor is made from flexible and thin materials; Favorable for the quick thief, cunning adventurer, or basic training armor, as it's protection is there, but not immense. A trade of weightlessness for greater agility, these armors typically protect from Light Slashing and Bludgeoning Damage, but provide no great defense against more powerful impacts or Piercing Damage. The following are classified as "Light Armor":

Padded Armor; Layers of clothing made of wool, cotton, or other fabrics that create a natural level of armor on a mortal's body. This can also be achieved naturally, as some creatures have exceedingly thick hides.
Resistant to Light Slashing and Bludgeoning Damage, but vulnerable to Piercing Damage.

Boiled Leather; Typically, sheets of treated animal pelts that have been boiled in oil and made to protect the bearer with it's stiffness. However, the joints and extremities of this armor are usually more flexible and thusly more susceptible to damage.
Resistant to Light Slashing and Bludgeoning Damage, but vulnerable to Piercing Damage.

Studded Leather; Leather armor that has been improved with spikes, spines, or studs of some kind of metal to increase it's resistance to attack. This retains it's flexibility while also adding more protectiveness to the armor.
This armor allows the wearer to resist Medium Slashing Damage, along with the other aforementioned resistances for light armor.

Medium Armor
Medium armor grants it's wearer much more protection than just leather or quilt, but it also impairs their movement somewhat. Furthermore, some of these equipment are noisy, further inflicting a debilitating return in terms of stealth or agility. These armors typically protect from Medium Slashing, Bludgeoning, and Piercing Damage, but some can either be vulnerable to Piercing through gaps in their shape, or Bludgeoning against their solid plates of armor, and can sometimes be ripped apart by greater damage than that. The following are classified as "Medium Armor":

Hide Armor; A tribal or basic armor consisting of thick hide, pelt, or other animalistic armor. This can, at times, even be compared to the hides of creatures like Yeti, or Minotaur, but is usually restricted to folk who lack the tools required to make greater armor - Or maybe those who simply wear it for barbaric or ritualistic purposes.
It protects against only Medium Slashing Damage, and Light Piercing and Bludgeoning Damage.

Chain Shirt;
A shirt made of interlocking rings that covers up to the neck and down to the waist, this armor offers modest protection and - if donned correctly between layers - is muffled by the cloth or leather that is worn over it. However, it's immense resistance to one type of damage along with it's somewhat secret nature comes at the cost of being vulnerable to others.
If made of Iron-Material, it is vulnerable to Piercing and Bludgeoning Damage, and protects against Light Slashing Damage. If made of Steel-Material, it is vulnerable to Medium Piercing and Bludgeoning Damage and protects against Medium Slashing, Light Bludgeoning, and Light Piercing Damage. Finally, if made of Mithril-Material, it is vulnerable to Heavy Piercing and Bludgeoning Damage, and protects against Heavy Slashing, Medium Bludgeoning, and Medium Piercing Damage. All of this protection, however, is localized entirely on the chest, neck, and shoulders.

Scale Mail; A suit made of overlapping 'scales' of metal, intended to cover the body and disperse impacts and blows across it's form. This mail usually comes with a set of gauntlets, and is granted resistance by it's materials.
It's protective against Medium Slashing, Piercing, and Light Bludgeoning Damage if made of Iron or Steel-Material. If made of Mithril-Material, then it protects from Heavy Slashing, Piercing and Medium Bludgeoning Damage. It does, however, have vulnerability to Bludgeoning Damage, alongside in the joints, which are usually made of cloth to allow some level of flexibility and movement.

Piecemeal; A piece of armor fitted over the body made of a durable, hardy material, typically in one or two pieces. This can be shoulder pads and a breastplate, greaves and faulds, or other pieces of armor that aren't a full suit. Although it leaves some places relatively undefended, this armor gives good protection for the wearer’s vital internals (if placed correctly on the body) while leaving the wearer relatively unencumbered.
If made of Iron-Material, it protects against Light Damage, but only localized in the protected locations. Similarly, Steel-Material protects from Medium Damage, and Mithril-Material protects from Heavy Damage.

Heavy Armor

A bulwark of protection, heavy armor grants its donner some of the best amount of protection available. Made to last and be a bastion-esque totem of power, heavy armor comes with the debilitating drawback of immense loudness to it's form, along with severe heaviness - Even if made of mithril. A person wearing heavy armor has their speed reduced from the standard 10 blocks per action to varying amounts depending on the armor. This drawback is supplemented by the fact that heavy armor is some of the most protective and reliable one could aim to don, and so the following are classified as heavy armor hence:

Full Chainmail; Full chainmail armor is a sheet of interlocking rings form-fittingly covering the entirety of a person's body, providing a large amount of protection for relatively cheaper than typical full-armor. This typically includes a layer of quilted fabric worn underneath the mail to prevent chafing and to cushion the impact of bludgeoning impacts. This armor reduces standard movement from 10 blocks to 8 blocks.
If made of Iron-Material, it is vulnerable to Piercing and Bludgeoning Damage, and protects against Light Slashing Damage. If made of Steel-Material, it is vulnerable to Medium Piercing and Bludgeoning Damage and protects against Medium Slashing, Light Bludgeoning, and Light Piercing Damage. Finally, if made of Mithril-Material, it is vulnerable to Heavy Piercing and Bludgeoning Damage, and protects against Heavy Slashing, Medium Bludgeoning, and Medium Piercing Damage; This protection is extended across the entire body.

Full Plate; Full plate armor is likely the upmost tier of protection a knight could don, made of many plates of metal that are shaped and interlocked to cover the entire body. A suit of plate usually comes with gauntlets, a visor helmet, and thick padding beneath the armor to reduce chafe. Straps are placed on the body beneath the armor to distribute weight over the entirety of the form - Hopefully reducing any slowness, but only by so much, as this armor reduces standard movement from 10 blocks to 5 blocks. Even if the plate is made of mithril or similarly light material, this slowness applies.
If made of Iron-Material, it completely protects against Light Damage. Similarly, Steel-Material protects from Medium Damage, and Mithril-Material protects from Heavy Damage. It is vulnerable only within the very joints and gaps between the armor - Any Material form of the armor requiring Light Piercing Damage to stab into the joints within.

Shields

Buckler / Heater; A small, handheld shield that is often mistaken for the targe or hoplon (which is a shield that's traditionally strapped to the forearm to leave a hand open, whereas the buckler is for dueling), though we will pretend it is one anyways. It doesn't restrict the movement of the hand and leaves that hand open to be used for drawing arrows from a sheathe, etc. However, it doesn't provide a lot of protection as it is typically only half a meter in diameter.
Solely protects against Light Damage, regardless of it's material, due to it's size and relative thinness.

Kite / Pavise; A medium, round shield that is often what one imagines when thinking of knights. It is often adorned with fanciful art as a coat of arms for most nobility, and provides versatility in its use. Useful for parrying attacks, obstructing arrows, and more if held over the head, and typically the most diverse of shields one would typically don.
Protects against Medium Piercing and Slashing Damage, but can be disabled with Medium Bludgeoning Damage.

Tower / Bulwark; A large, rectangular shield that curves around the wearer. It's shape, unlike most shields, runs from the shoulder to just above the ankles. However, its weight leads to a lack of mobility in the wearer. A tower shield, when raised, reduces the wearer's standard movement speed from 10 blocks to 8 blocks. When not raised, this debilitation is not in effect.
Protects against Heavy Bludgeoning and Slashing Damage, but can be disabled with Heavy Piercing Damage.

Why should this be considered for the lore/guides? What does this add?

One, because we need definitive amounts of protection / resistance / etc. to things when donning mithril, steel, or other armor for combat RP.

Two, because I myself am tired of seeing people in full mithril or mithril chain shirts simply tank most if not all attacks with ease; It's not really sensible, if you ask me.

Finally, because I think it'd help define a lot of weapon plusses and minuses - As I will hopefully write a Weapon Types combat-lore-guide-thing in the future dictating the properties of specific weapons in Combat RP -

Again, why? Because I'm ALSO sick and tired of seeing everyone think that a mithril sword is an end-all beat-all - We have things like a LANCE that I've NEVER EVER seen used in Combat RP, and some people don't even know what the difference between shield's protectiveness is - It's a big mess. This is hopefully 1/2 of my solution to that mess.

Last edited:

Gram

Reaction score
Username
Gram
Character Name
Emreis / Emhyr
Discord
Gram#9380
Again, why? Because I'm ALSO sick and tired of seeing everyone think that a mithril sword is an end-all beat-all - We have things like a LANCE that I've NEVER EVER seen used in Combat RP, and some people don't even know what the difference between shield's protectiveness is - It's a big mess. This is hopefully 1/2 of my solution to that mess.
RIP Xaedric.

On a more serious note:

I would love to see this added and Suki has pretty much summed up what I'm feeling as well. Almost like they are using some kind of....magic....to enter my mind.

Mezameta

Reaction score
This will definitely allow some arsenal variety and make things less confusing in the end

IndeanaJones

Owner
Reaction score
Username
IndeanaJones
Character Name
Basilius Buckley
Discord
@Inde#0066
I think this is a great idea! Altho I feel like something like this would be better served as a roleplay guide rather than lore, the reason why most people rely on steel/mithril & rp it as tanks is cause it can be rather difficult to actually know how well it can protect or what counters are in CRP.

With a detailed guide like this people can get a better idea of how to go about emoting their attacks/armor in a CRP situation and take into account the effectiveness of their weapons rather than just acting like a tank all.

OP
Sukitoru

Sukitoru

Lore
Reaction score
Username
Sukitoru
Character Name
Kine Lidomast
I think this is a great idea! Altho I feel like something like this would be better served as a roleplay guide rather than lore, the reason why most people rely on steel/mithril & rp it as tanks is cause it can be rather difficult to actually know how well it can protect or what counters are in CRP.

With a detailed guide like this people can get a better idea of how to go about emoting their attacks/armor in a CRP situation and take into account the effectiveness of their weapons rather than just acting like a tank all.
(I am submitting it here because the more intricate armors might require lore signing...)

Rikumaru

VIP
Reaction score
Would it be possible to wear mail underneath plate in this system, since realistically you would (and should) be able to? And if so, would we need a second mithril chestplate for that to RPly count?

OP
Sukitoru

Sukitoru

Lore
Reaction score
Username
Sukitoru
Character Name
Kine Lidomast
Would it be possible to wear mail underneath plate in this system, since realistically you would (and should) be able to? And if so, would we need a second mithril chestplate for that to RPly count?
nah it'd be two in one, essentially you are automatically wearing mail if you have full plate, which is why its only vulnerable in some spots

rodmaxgg

Reaction score
As a rich man I like that mithril has more mobility, now I gotta buy greater celerity

Darken

VIP
Reaction score
Character Name
'I.C.A'
Discord
Darkx#4901
Props to you.

Reaction score
Username
wootdahnoot
Character Name
A Elf.
Discord
woot#4467
Kite : do you mean kite shield? Cuz those are pretty big

Reaction score
Username
wootdahnoot
Character Name
A Elf.
Discord
woot#4467
Irp you can wear steel and chainmail, or mithril and chainmail. You could always do this.

OP
Sukitoru

Sukitoru

Lore
Reaction score
Username
Sukitoru
Character Name
Kine Lidomast
Irp you can wear steel and chainmail, or mithril and chainmail. You could always do this.
Full plate is classified here (in my system) as plates of metal worn, and chainmail below it, but does not incorporate the benefits of a chain shirt, or full chain mail, for purposes of balancing. If it did, I would remove the "if made of mithril" bit that allows for some leeway with damage reduction, as having extreme resistance to ALL forms of damage is rather powerful without a detriment.

Discord

Join us on Discord

Latest profile posts

5 word horror stories. give them to me.
Check out my Creative writing please!! i would like to know your thoughts
Congratulations, you’ve made it to Friday!
If you consider becoming a dwarf, feel free to read the updated intro!
The new 1.18 music is fantastic

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
6N6